Tuesday 19 January 2016

Incense: Palo Santo

This new year I received a lovely gift package from the lovely Justina Blakeney. Some Palo Santo incense and some ‘Jungalow’ Matches. Not only was I thrilled with this awesome gift but a tad embarrassed as I also realized that Ivy from IvyIvyivy had also sent me some Palo Santo with my Universe bowl and Hand Incense holder a few weeks before, but I had thought it was just a bit of wood she had put in the package to stop the ceramics getting bashed (cringe), luckily something compelled me to keep it :)

With two lovely ladies gifting me Palo Santo, it must have been a sign that Palo Santo was meant to be in my life……


Palo Santo Incense


So what is Palo Santo?

Palo Santo is from the Bursera graveolens tree that grows on the coast of South America and its name translates as ‘Holy Tree’. It is part of the citrus family and is related to Frankincense, Myrrh and Copal.

Palo Santo has been used by many generations for a wide range of rituals and ailments. In Ecuador, it is used against the "mala energía" (bad energy). Palo Santo is also enjoyed ceremonially for its cleansing and healing properties. It is said to be a strong medicine used for its heavenly presence in keeping energies grounded and clear. It has a beautiful earthy citrusy almost licorice smell which is perfect for meditation or just relaxation at home…. It is also an excellent mosquito repellent...

Palo Santo is also used to treat common colds, flu, stress, asthma , depression and anxiety…..perfect for those winter blues

If you are not a fan of burning incense it can also be simmered in hot water and drunk as a tea!!

So how do you use Palo Santo?
  • Using a match ignite the stick of Palo Santo and hold at a 45 degree angle. 
  •  Let it burn for 45 seconds and then blow out the flame 
  •  Enjoy.....
  •  The Palo Santo will go out on its own … to keep it going blow on the stick.
  •  Then place on a fireproof bowl . I used a Ceramic from IVYIVYIVY 

Palo Santo From Justina and Ceramic 'Universe Bowl' from IVYIVYIVY

 The lighting of the Palo Santo did seem more special and ceremonial than my nag champa. Maybe it is because I have been using Nag Champa for so long I have got used to the ritual of burning a stick, but I really loved this new method and I will definitely be buying more….. and it has opened me up to the idea of trying other types of incense….


…although Nag Champa will always be my true love :)

6 comments:

Laura Morrigan said...

Sounds fascinating! Thanks for telling us about it!

moonpoppy said...

I had heard of it,would love to try burning it one day.The tea-part was totally new to me,I have to wrap my brain around that before trying it!

Unknown said...

Sounds relaxing, I'd love to try this one.

Lady of the Woods said...

I love this incense. I burn some every morning before making my matcha by beeswax candlelight. I am looking now for a kitchen I saw on your blog, that I adore....need some eye candy for the soul.

Moon to Moon said...

It is such beautiful inscence. Sadly my boyfriend really dislikes it so i am having to keep it for special occasions only!

The tea does sound interesting although I have to be honest I am not tempted to try it!

Thanbk you for all your comments

Nadya said...

thank you! I'd seen it at a local shop, but hasn't tried it yet!