Wednesday 30 May 2012

Beyond Marrakech Handira: Moroccan Wedding blankets...

Handira: Moroccan wedding blanket, With bushy white stands and sequins these bohemian beauties
look wonderful used as blankets, wall hangings or rugs :Peacock pavillions
Handira used as a blanket
Handira: Wedding Blanket used as a bed throw
A beyond Marrakech Handira used as a rug
Handira :Wedding blanket from Beyond Marrakech
Handira: The back of a rare Beni Ouarain wedding Blanket from Beyond Marrakech , complete with shoulder straps
Moroccan Interior Design: Wedding blanket (handira) used as a rug
I have fallen in love with a blanket, no seriously, big time in Love! I have been toying with the idea of buying a Moroccan Wedding Blanket (Handira) for about a year now, and a couple of weeks ago just went for it.

Handira are hand woven blankets made from 100% wool and decorated with sequins. The Wedding blankets are made by Berber women and are traditionally used as a cape during wedding ceremonies (See photo below). Post wedding Handira look beautiful as blankets on the bed, as rugs or even as wall hangings.

I am so, so impressed I just had to share....I got mine from Beyond Marrakech, a blog and shop owned by the lovely Danielle, who also owns a beautiful Guest house Dar Zohra in the Atlas Mountains.

Living in Morocco, Danielle sources these beautiful Handira locally and has the most beautiful wide range of these beautiful blankets. If like me you are messy the blankets also come in colour.

What do you guys think?

Handira are traditionally worn as a cape during the Moroccan Wedding ceremony
For more Handira inspiration Visit beyond marakesh's Handira Boutique 

11 comments:

Boho Mixology said...

Glad you took the plunge cause they are beautiful! Im off to check out her blog/shop right now :)

Zoe xx

Esperanza✿⊱ said...

Wooooo!!!!!

How2home said...

this is my first time visiting your blog and im in love! thanks for sharing such beautiful photos!

Kath said...

OH YES !!

Unknown said...

Love the Moroccan Wedding blankets.

Anonymous said...

True Love! Every post is pure bliss!

Judy said...

I love it!...

Something like that is just exactly what my bed is missing!

Soo inspiring pictures, thanks

http://by-judy.blogspot.com/

Linda said...

That was interesting...I have never heard of these...I love the blue & white one...the Moroccan style encompasses everything that says bohemian...I love it...Excellent choice of a blanket to buy...:)

XO

Bohemian said...

Gorgeous... Love everything Moroccan!

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Freedom & Fairness said...

I, too, love the Moroccan style...these Handira blankets are amazing! My favorite is the one with the blue in it. Thanks for sharing.

PoppyWorld said...

I have seen a blue handira in a magazine but I cannot find anything about them online! Anyone else seen them?